I’m up to the little finger on my latest pair, for my friend Geof. I thought that I’d posted about these, but obviously after the making a mistake post I must have lost my umph for writing about them. I really like them as the contrast is strong and the patterns likewise. They are an attempt to capture some aspects of what my friend does and who he is, if that’s not too high falutin. Well it is, but I don’t care, because those are some of the factors that have driven the design process. I have sketchbook pages to prove it!
The left and right hands are in opposite colours, an idea I first saw on Click’n’knit’s blog: but as the two colours are slightly different in weight, I’ve had to change the swapping around or the difference in size would have been too apparent. You can see that the cuff with the pale blue as the main colour is larger than the brown dowminated one. So then the blue becomes the main colour above the brown to try to balance it out.
Here they are so far.
And here’s the cuffs:
Thought that I’d do a few rounds before turning in and just realised that they’re wrong … I did not look at my chart and just carried on. So now I have to undo about 8 rounds and get it right. That is actually part of the appeal of this knitting – it has to be correct or not at all but just now I could do with some way of fudging things.
In the morning I might take some photos.
But the process of making mistakes and correcting them is all part of it. Some I can correct without much undoing but this is far too much :(
As I’ve bought a new camera I decided to spend a bit of time photographing (at least) some of my stash. The stash facility on Ravelry sounds very good and I haven’t really used it up to now and it would be handy to know what I’ve got when thinking about new projects without having to root through the tin trunk that keeps it all.
So I started on the 3ply wools, those I use for gloves usually. I have just counted from the photos and there’s enough wool for about 60 pairs I think. The colours are rather unevenly distributed, lots of yellow and hardly any white. I try to make it a rule not to buy more yarn but like all rules it can be broken, especially when Marion Foale’s colours are so wonderful.
At about 6 – 7 pairs annually that’s about enough for 10 years. I think that sounds just about right as I’ve certainly got that many ideas and I might even start knitting at least part of them on the machine.
You can look on my Ravelry pages to see what’s there so far. There’s 4 ply, enough for a couple of sweaters, and some denim cotton, a tiny bit of cashmere, some DK in various colours and that’s about it. I’ll add them another time.
Here’s some of the more photogenic balls and skeins, from the early 1950s to the mid 60s I think. All pure wool and all spun in the UK. All in imperial weights too, so a bit of the past in some balls of wool.
Sirdar, from the early 1950s
Jaeger, from the 1960s
Patons again, but perhaps 1960s
A skein of about 4 ounces, again from the 1950s?
Patons and Baldwins, Purple Heather, possibly from the 1950s?
At last, a batch of three pairs of gloves, knitted for three of my very good friends. They chose the colours and I really like the way that these sit together. Perhaps it’s because all the yarns are vintage 3ply wools. Each one of them has a small amount of a third or even fourth colour. Two ounces (28grms) is just not quite enough for one pair, usually one finger needs a third colour. All the patterns are those found in Yorkshire gloves, that is, those knitted in Dent, probably by Mary Allen.
The cast on and the first round of knitting in 3k 1p rib for (I think) my 21st pair. It depends a bit how you count them.
I am full of resolve that I will knit these faster than the last pair, partly because the colours are such a good contrast.
The cast on is a new one for me as I have done the Mary Allen (which is a twisted German one in two colours) but alternating the stitch colours.
I’m enthusiastic about blogging as I’ve met someone who reads my blog. Thank you. Must get back to knitting.
Update: change of plan: I decided I didn’t like this cast on, it looked too messy and broken up so I started again with a solid colour cast on and the first row knitted in rib in one colour. Then it goes to two colour rib. I also decided to make each glove the reverse of the other in terms of colour.
The design principles for this pair are:
- a difference between right and left (that’s the same as some ceramics that the recipient made years ago)
- that’s a bit of visual humour, or it’s meant to be …
- a sort of 1950s integrity (captured in the vintage yarns, pure wool, fine, colours slightly vintage)
- motifs that are compass or cross inspired.
That all sounds very high falutin for a pair of hand knitted gloves in two colours but I realise that the ones I like the best when they are complete are the ones that I have paid most attention to in the design stage. My favourite ones are Hil’s gloves and the Mynydd gloves, both of which were very closely taken from visual sources.
Anyway, once I’d knitted the glove ribs in contrasting colours I realised that the two wools are slightly different weights and therefore the colours will have to be swapped in the hand of the glove to compensate for this. That is, I can’t have one mainly light and one mainly dark as I had planned, using the weaving idea of ‘summer’ and ‘winter’ in the two sides of a coverlet, as they will be too different.
Here’s the ribs:
They are different sizes the brown dominant one being slightly smaller then the blue dominant.
Yesterday I went with Barbara to Scarborough with the KCG trunk show. We showed it as part of the Westcliffe gansey knitting holiday. I can’t put in any links as I’m on my mobile. I might be able to add a pic or two but I’ve not had a properly working camera for some months now. It’s fine to use the phone for holidays but not so good for the collection or my gloves.
Some of the tools and gadgets we showed