The first pair is finished

The first pair now complete

The gloves that started the project are now a pair. The initials are not the same as they were started by me and my daughter. They need to be washed and pressed really , the right one is rather crumpled up, but I wanted to get them up here before I go away.

I’m in a real quandary about what to knit next and want to take a new pair away with me for long train journeys and so on, but am stuck on the colours. the vintage colours are a bit odd and the quantities are a bit short too. I just weighed my last pair, knitted from some vintage 3 ply and the two gloves are 60 grms… whereas 2 ounces is 56 grms. I wonder if i could just make the cuff a bit shorter so as to be able to get a pair from 2 ounces?

Exciting finds at Lee Mills

Original Sanquhar glove patterns!

Yesterday at Lee Mills, the home of the collections of the Knitting and Crochet Guild, my colleague was sorting the final few of hundreds of boxes of knitting patterns, possible the largest collection anywhere (in the world?) found 3 of the original SWRI patterns for Sanquhar gloves. If you send away to the SWRI for these you get photocopies, which although legible, aren’t ideal. So it was really interesting to see the ‘real’ patterns – slightly smaller than A4 and printed on shiny paper. I have been able to borrow them to look at closely.

The original Sanquhar patterns

An original Sanquhar pattern

Too busy to blog

Well what between one thing and another, I haven’t had too much time to knit or blog in the last few days. I’ve been knitting, trying to finish the Duke gloves, now on the fingers. I’ve gone onto dpns as the circulars i’ve got in 2 mm are just too long. The pattern is easy to follow but even so the picking up is a bit tricky.

Here it is:

Second Duke glove


Second Duke glove, back

Back to the start of it all

I’m knitting the second of the first pair I started with … my original idea was to have me and my daughter each knit one of a pair, keeping in touch via the blog. Anyway, it didn’t work out as it’s such concentrated work … so reluctantly she let me take the unfinished glove off her. I’m not being very fast with it either but am moving up past the thumb. Here it is.

The second Duke pattern glove

Back to glove progress

I’ve had a good few days for knitting – long distance train journeys and taking grandchildren to swimming lessons for instance so I’m up to the thumbs – and past. I’m loving knitting these gloves – I think it’s the yarns and the pattern. I think I’ve also found that the 3 ply on 2.25mm or 13 UK needles is just right for the type of fabric I want – firm but not too tight, and finally coming more even.

Here they are on the seat back table on the train back up t’North.

Back of the hands showing black lines – as leather gloves have

Gloves showing the completed thumb gusset on a thread

Belting along

I’ve spent most of the day, off and on, working out the pattern for these and knitting. So now I’ve cracked the date and initials – always a hurdle – and am on the hand pattern.

Cuffs with initials and date above

The placing of the initials and date is not symmetrical – but it will be when the back of the hand pattern takes shape with the three vertical lines up the back. Then the little panels should fall evenly under them. I have spent a LOT of time sorting this out – and am not convinced!

I have though, put the written pattern onto a chart using graphs paper and pencil to get general placings – and then into a chart in Intwined Pattern Studio. Now I’m more familiar with it, it does seem to be quick, although not necessarily easy. Here’s all the paper work and scribblings.

The written pattern, note book with large squared paper, the Intwined Pattern Studio print outs

While charting on the computer, I’ve been puzzling out how to indicate the thumb increasing. Seems the best way might be to show a stitch with the base of it and then do a separate chart. The ease with which you can increase and decrease in the row in hand knitting has always been a problem for charting. Actually doing it is so much easier. Is that why the patterns were written in full rather than charted?

Anyway, the fun that is the thumb doesn’t start for a couple more rounds!

Glove news

Well only the thumb to go before I’ve finished the Shepherd’s Plaid gloves. I should be able to do that tomorrow. Then on to the next pair. Charcoal and cream I think, in my own design, based on all the ones I’ve knitted already.

Anyway, the big news is the discovery of two more pairs of pattered British gloves in the Knitting and Crochet Guild collection. I was at Lee Mills on Friday helping to sort things out and had the box with all the gloves and mittens.


Here they all are in the only heated space. There’s about 60 pairs, many of them fine crochet lace. Two more pairs of Sanquhar gloves turned up. Here they are:

Fine wool Sanquhar pattern gloves

Fine wool Sanquhar pattern gloves, Duke pattern knitted from the P and B pattern below

These are beautifully knitted and in good condition. The initials are worked with the yarns woven in at the back creating a small surface texture on the front of the fabric and an exceptionally neat fabric on the inside. The colours are lovely, rather 1930s in feel although the gloves are more recent than that.

The initials showing the result of weaving in on the reverse

Black and white Sanquhar pattern gloves

Sanquhar gloves, black and white wool, Duke pattern

These are also well knitted but have signs of wear on the cuffs. The single rib is more usually found on the ‘Yorkshire’ gloves and the cast on edge is tending to curl out. Still, they are a good example of the kind and in very typical colours.

The Patons and Baldwins pattern for the Duke Sanquhar gloves

The Paton and Baldwin pattern for Sanquhar gloves in the Duke pattern